Tuesday, October 2

My Fave Life Hacking Tools and Apps

An ever-evolving list...

Education

Way too many to name but here are a few:

Coursera
A social entrepreneurship company that partners with the top universities in the world to offer courses online for anyone to take, for free.

Udacity
Invent your future through free, interactive online classes.  Offers accessible, affordable, engaging classes that anyone can take, anytime. 

Degreed
The new degree for the new world.  Degreed is a free service that scores and validates your lifelong education from accredited and informal sources.  

Pathbrite
Collect, organize and share a lifetime of learning and achievement.

CodeAcademy
Learn to Code Interactively for Free

Ted 
Ideas Worth Spreading; Riveting Talks by Remarkable people, Free to the World

TedX
Created in the spirit of TED’s mission, “ideas worth spreading,” the TEDx program is designed to give communities, organizations and individuals the opportunity to stimulate dialogue through TED-like experiences at the local level. 

TedEd
Lessons Worth Sharing around Youtube Videos

Rosetta Stone online
I think Rosetta Stone is really an excellent language approach for supplementation of conversational french (we use online tutors).

Busuu
A language learning tutorial website available for free.

Babbel
Subscription based alternative to Rosetta Stone. 

Italki
italki brings you everything you need to become fluent in another language. Get speaking practice, find an online language teacher, get help on writing, ask questions, and make friends around the world.

Duolingo
So far Duolingo is the winner for me in the free language app space.  I love that it's gamified, social, community-support oriented.  Caveat: One does come across some funny phrases sometimes, such as "I like eating pepper" but perhaps that adds to the fun...  From their website, here's an explanation on how it can be free which I love for the savvy synergy:

"Here’s how it works: Somebody who needs a webpage translated uploads it to Duolingo. That document then gets presented to Duolingo students who can translate it in order to practice the language they are learning. When the document is fully translated, Duolingo returns it to the original content owner who, depending on the type of document they uploaded, pays for the translation."

LearningJar
An opportunity for lifelong learners everywhere to build skills and advance their careers by capturing and curating informal learning.

Teacherspayteachers
An open marketplace for educators where teachers buy, sell and share original teaching resources.


Hippocampus
Teaching with the power of digital media. Designed as part of Open Education Resources, a worldwide effort to improve access to quality education for everyone. 

Learner.org
Teacher professional development and classroom resources across the curriculum


A place to create online portfolios to highlight and track what you know.

So many more and changing all the time.  

Effectiveness and Time Management

Reqall
I like this app a lot.  Freemium model.  Because I have the Pro version ($24.99 per year) it integrates with Google Calendar and Evernote and allows me to capture To Do items I remember while driving by voice recognition with "eye's-free" one touch.

Allows user to send emails schedule for a future date and time. Free.

Fancy Hands
This is a virtual assistant service that I'm so far enjoying.  It's good for tasks which can be delegated easily with a fast email but will save you time.  (eg. place order for catered food, arrange meetings, research etc).  Various levels of monthly fee.  (Full disclosure: if you use my link above, you get 50% off the first month and I believe I get a $5 credit.)

Lift
I've been a fan (and sometimes user) of 10 Daily Habits since I started my Coach training at CoachU in 2000.  I've used paper and more often spreadsheets but I just got turned onto this simple, effective and share-oriented app and am finding it a nice addition to the process.

Other Self-Tracking and Quantified Self

Web or computer app which allows for the tracking of food and evaluation by composition.  I'm currently using it to help me achieve a 6:3:1 fat:protein:carb food ratio.  I'm testing the hypothesis that a higher fat diet will result in weight loss.  My focus is on increasing fat which I believe will naturally lead to ease of reducing carb intake. 

The app goes part and parcel with the hardware but this is one of the best ones due to the ease of tracking.  I love it!  I've previously been a hater of scales but this one softens the emotional impact.  I did a QS talk on how the Withings scale and app worked for me as a result.

Another hardware/app combo deal.  I only use this to track steps.  I aim for 10,000 per day with a bare minimum of 4K per day.

More hardware!  This one is the best I know for learning about sleep.  It has amazing accuracy and seems to be able to tell through EGG when you're awake.  Postscript: R.I.P. Zeo it was nice knowing you!

Love this app for the times when I'm running or walking outdoors.  It let's me use a GPS to see where I've been.  It's also a nice place to track indoor activites (like my treadmill walking) and other activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment